My first time using celery root. It has a very distinctive aroma ( herbal).
This is a very flavorful dish. It would also be tasty as a dip if pureed in a food processor.
Inspired by Julie Sahni’s book Classic Indian Cooking
1 1/2 cups yellow or green split peas
1/3 teaspoon powdered tumeric
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
Step 1. Wash the pea. Put peas in a bowl add the water- cover peas by 1 inch
Soak for 1 hour and drain. Or in my case I put them in a storage container in my refrigerator until I made the dish.
- 1/3 cup Camelina Oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 finely chopped celery root
- 16 oz of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Heat oil in large saute pan with lid
- Add cumin seeds, saute until fragrant.
- Add onion, saute until soft. Add celery root.
- Add peas ( drained) saute 1-2 minutes.
- Add curry powder and broth.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes until soft.
- Serve with rice or naan bread.